Take Control of Diabetes!
* Diabetes means your body is struggling to keep your blood sugar normal.
* There are two types of diabetes: Typle 1 and Type 2.
* If you have been diagnosed with either, careful attention to your food intake and prescribed medicine is the most important priority.
* Your risk for Type 2 diabetes can be changed by focusing on food intake, weight control, and physical activity.
* Wellivery can help you focus on these risk factors by providing affordable access to your doctor.
Diabetes. Sugar diabetes. Sugar.
Really scary. Most non-medical people regard it the first step towards blindness, amputations, kidney failure, heart disease, and worse.
And for sure, blindness, amputations, kidney failure, and heart disease are all complications of diabetes.
But, what does diabetes mean? Where does it come from? Can it be prevented?
Diabetes is a condition where your blood sugar (glucose) is elevated outside the normal measurements. When this happens for a prolonged time, blood vessels in organs such as the eyes, kidneys, heart, and brain, are damaged. These organs are slowly starved of the blood flow they need, and as a result, they fail.
The body controls glucose in a safe range using a hormone called insulin. Insulin is released from the pancreas, an organ buried in your abdomen just above your belly button. In the most common type of diabetes, type 2, the pancreas is working normally and releasing insulin to try to keep blood glucose normal. It fails because of changes in how blood vessel cells react to the insulin. This failure is caused by excess weight, which seems to release chemicals that block the action of insulin.
The less common type of diabetes, type 1, occurs when the pancreas loses its ability to make and release insulin. This occurs when the pancreas is attacked by inflammation.
Medical science hasn’t solved how to prevent type 1 diabetes. For now, treatment requires the injection of insulin to simulate the normal function of the pancrease.
Fortunately, doctors DO understand how to prevent type 2 diabetes. The factors that push patients to this diagnosis are:
- excess weight, particularly in the abdominal region;
- excess carbohydrate intake in the food you eat;
- physical inactivity.
Preventing type 2 diabetes means: control of body fat, healthy eating, and regular physical activity.
Really? Is it that simple?
Yes, this is the formula for preventing type 2 diabetes. But, its a hard formula to apply to yourself. Its a formula that will require the development of new healthy habits. And unhealthy behaviors will have to be abandoned
Wellivery focuses on three aspects of diabetes.
- screening to allow earliest diagnosis and treatment of diabetes
- screening to detect silent complications of diabetes
- risk reduction – to prevent type 2 diabetes from getting a foothold.
In the U.S., hospitals and pharmaceutical companies have worked hard and at great expense to treat diabetes. Countless lives have been saved by this approach.
Unfortunately, many patients die when the diabetes is diagnosed too late or when the treatment fails.
Clearly, prevention of diabetes would have a vast impact.
The U.S. healthcare system has not been particularly effective at preventing diabetes. Medical research has shown how doctors should work with patients to prevent diabetes and how to make screening happen. However, this research is not universally used, and for many reasons, patients don’t have access to either screening or prevention planning.
Diabetes prevention and screening for earlist diagnosis is a primary focus of Wellivery. Our formula?
- Use established clinical guidelines
- Get patients screed according to these guidelines
- Develop a prevention plan for each patient
- Control risk factors that are already present
- Use the smartphone and phone visits as the primary platform for patient communication and education – not the doctor office.
Diabetes is like most chronic diseases that occur when a genetic susceptabilty that you inherited interacts with your environment (like: poor nutrition, stress, excess weight, physical inactivity, smoking, alcohol). We can’t change your genetic profile.
You CAN change the enviromental factors that will push you into diabetes. Wellivery is designed to be your expert physician counselor, guiding you to victory over your risk of diabetes and its complications.
Now, if you want to get an email when I have updated these health topics, just fill in the ‘subscribe’ box to the right.
Until next topic, I wish the best of health to you!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
- Wellivery Facts: Online Doctor Visits Work!
- Follow-up Care: Wellivery Makes It Easy!
- Children and Chronic Disease
- Symptom Surveys
- Cancer: Let’s Talk Prevention!
- How To Control Your Heart Disease!
- Chronic Disease and COVID19: Precautions First!
- Prevention? Get A Lifestyle Action Plan!
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Winter Health Tips
- Affordability: Means Accessible Care!
* Cigarette smoking is the most powerful risk you can control.* Quitting isn't easy and usually takes several tries.* The benefit for preventing heart attacks and cancer is huge.* Wellivery will help you get there by prescribing medication that will help...
* Extra body weight increases your chances of: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. * On top of these scary issues, medication, hospital and doctor costs are higher if you are overweight or obese. * Good News! Small changes in your weight can pay off big...
*Gout is a type of arthritis affecting a small number of joints. *Joint pain, swelling and redness, usually starting at night, are the main symptoms. *The joints involved are usually in the fingers, toes, wrists, and knees. *The pain is caused by uric acid...
Quality chronic disease care depends on self-management by patients. A large part of my role as your physician is teaching you these self-management skills. Crucial to these skills are techniques you will use to assess: Your Symptoms Your Chronic Disease...
Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms: Burning (dysuria) Frequency (having to urinate more often than usual) Urgency (stronger than normal urge to urinate) These symptoms are the hallmarks of a UTI (Urinary tract infection) or a bladder infection. A UTI is a...
* Electronic prescriptions mean: ..More accuracy in the order, ..More convenience for you, ..No paper to lose, and ..It’s FAST! * Wellivery sends all orders for prescription medication to the pharmacy of your choice! Electronically! Most chronic diseases...