Take Control of Diabetes!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
* Diabetes means your body is struggling to keep your blood sugar normal.
* There are two types of diabetes: Typle 1 and Type 2.
* If you have been diagnosed with either, careful attention to your food intake and prescribed medicine is the most important priority.
* Your risk for Type 2 diabetes can be changed by focusing on food intake, weight control, and physical activity.
* Wellivery can help you focus on these risk factors by providing affordable access to your doctor.
Diabetes. Sugar diabetes. Sugar.
Really scary. Most non-medical people regard it the first step towards blindness, amputations, kidney failure, heart disease, and worse.
And for sure, blindness, amputations, kidney failure, and heart disease are all complications of diabetes.
But, what does diabetes mean? Where does it come from? Can it be prevented?
Diabetes is a condition where your blood sugar (glucose) is elevated outside the normal measurements. When this happens for a prolonged time, blood vessels in organs such as the eyes, kidneys, heart, and brain, are damaged. These organs are slowly starved of the blood flow they need, and as a result, they fail.
The body controls glucose in a safe range using a hormone called insulin. Insulin is released from the pancreas, an organ buried in your abdomen just above your belly button. In the most common type of diabetes, type 2, the pancreas is working normally and releasing insulin to try to keep blood glucose normal. It fails because of changes in how blood vessel cells react to the insulin. This failure is caused by excess weight, which seems to release chemicals that block the action of insulin.
The less common type of diabetes, type 1, occurs when the pancreas loses its ability to make and release insulin. This occurs when the pancreas is attacked by inflammation.
Medical science hasn’t solved how to prevent type 1 diabetes. For now, treatment requires the injection of insulin to simulate the normal function of the pancrease.
Fortunately, doctors DO understand how to prevent type 2 diabetes. The factors that push patients to this diagnosis are:
- excess weight, particularly in the abdominal region;
- excess carbohydrate intake in the food you eat;
- physical inactivity.
Preventing type 2 diabetes means: control of body fat, healthy eating, and regular physical activity.
Really? Is it that simple?
Yes, this is the formula for preventing type 2 diabetes. But, its a hard formula to apply to yourself. Its a formula that will require the development of new healthy habits. And unhealthy behaviors will have to be abandoned
Wellivery focuses on three aspects of diabetes.
- screening to allow earliest diagnosis and treatment of diabetes
- screening to detect silent complications of diabetes
- risk reduction – to prevent type 2 diabetes from getting a foothold.
In the U.S., hospitals and pharmaceutical companies have worked hard and at great expense to treat diabetes. Countless lives have been saved by this approach.
Unfortunately, many patients die when the diabetes is diagnosed too late or when the treatment fails.
Clearly, prevention of diabetes would have a vast impact.
The U.S. healthcare system has not been particularly effective at preventing diabetes. Medical research has shown how doctors should work with patients to prevent diabetes and how to make screening happen. However, this research is not universally used, and for many reasons, patients don’t have access to either screening or prevention planning.
Diabetes prevention and screening for earlist diagnosis is a primary focus of Wellivery. Our formula?
- Use established clinical guidelines
- Get patients screened according to these guidelines
- Develop a prevention plan for each patient
- Control risk factors that are already present
- Use the smartphone and phone visits as the primary platform for patient communication and education – not the doctor office.
Diabetes is like most chronic diseases that occur when a genetic susceptabilty that you inherited interacts with your environment (like: poor nutrition, stress, excess weight, physical inactivity, smoking, alcohol). We can’t change your genetic profile.
You CAN change the enviromental factors that will push you into diabetes. Wellivery is designed to be your expert physician counselor, guiding you to victory over your risk of diabetes and its complications.
Wellivery has a special focus on:
Diabetes Prevention in Children
If we can start our prevention efforts in kids that we can already recognize as high risk, we have a much better chance of making a lasting change for LIFE!
Until next topic, I wish the best of health to you!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
- How Widespread is Long COVID?
- What is long COVID?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
Leveraging Dietary Protein
* Why is protein needed? * What kind of protein? * How much? Why is Deitary Protein Important? Obesity Prevention: The American diet tends to be high in carbohydrates and fats. Excessive intake of these nutrients is driving an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart...
Oral Cancer Prevention
Oral Cancer Prevention According to the World Health Organization, oral cancer is the 13th most common cancer on the planet. The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention estimates that oral cancer will cause 54,000 new cases of oral cancer (2022). If not detected...
TREATMENT FOR COVID19?YES! I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a...
Long COVID Lung
Long COVID Lung A large number of patients that experienced COVID-19 will have persisting lung symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and decreased exercise capacity. These problems are usually worse in patients who became so ill that they required...
Long COVID Brain
Long COVID Brain You have either heard of or experienced first hand the “brain fog” associated with COVID-19 infection. This disordered operation of thought and memory occurs during an active COVID-19 infection. But what about later, down the road? Do these issues...
Long COVID Heart
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many...