Prevention? Get A Lifestyle Action Plan!
Can you Prevent Chronic Disease?
When you get a chronic disease, your genetics – in particular a susceptability in your genetics, interacts with a ‘trigger’ in your environment. For most chronic diseases the most powerful triggers are:
- nutritional intake,
- your weight,
- your activity level,
- smoke exposure, and
- eventually, your age.
With the exception of age, these factors are called lifestyle factors. That means they are under your control.
Because they are so powerful in triggering chronic disease AND because they can be controlled by YOU, they have to be our primary focus in preventing chronic disease.
Once a chronic disease is present, we are pretty much stuck just trying to control the symptoms using medication. This approach requires continuous tuning of how much medication is needed. Unfortunately, every medication carries undesireable side affects. These side effects kick in at different doses for different people. That means every patient needs regular (every 3 month) monitoring to assure that an effective dose is found that has tolerable side effects.
As you can see, medication is not a magic bullet for high blood pressure, heart attacks, diabetes, and cancer.
Prevention? That’s the magic bullet.
My goal for you is to prevent chronic disease by getting out in front of these lifestyle factors and coaching you to change them. If you can change and control them, you have a very good chance of preventing a new chronic disease.
How do we do this?
First, we determine your risk for each disease, based on the diseases your relatives have shown. This is an indirect way to detecting your genetic set-up for each disease. Sophisticated genetic testing is being developed aimed at determining your unique genetic risk for disease.
So for now, we will develop this genetic risk ‘profile’ for you.
We then survey the lifestyle risk factors you have that are pushing your body toward getting each disease.
Based on that ‘map’, I develop a lifestyle action plan for you that emphasizes the most dangerous factors in your life.
This plan gives you goals to reducing each of these factors in a way that is:
- attainable, and
- is reflected in a score that you can see!
This score helps you and I see your progress toward minimizing your risk.
Lifestyle Action Plan. I’ll push this plan to your phone where you can review it and make the changes the keep you healthy for a good, long time!
Get started today!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Is Semaglutide For You?
- Prevention? Get A Lifestyle Action Plan!
- Affordability: Means Accessible Care!
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms: Burning (dysuria) Frequency (having to urinate more often than usual) Urgency (stronger than normal urge to urinate) These symptoms are the hallmarks of a UTI (Urinary tract infection) or a bladder infection. A UTI is a...
* Extra body weight increases your chances of: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.* On top of these scary issues, medication, hospital and doctor costs are higher if you are overweight or obese.* Good News! Small changes in your weight can dramaticlaly...
* Cigarette smoking is the most powerful risk factor that you can control!* Quitting isn't easy and usually takes several tries.* The benefit for preventing heart attacks and cancer is huge.* Wellivery will help you get there by prescribing medication that...
Quality chronic disease care depends on self-management by patients. A large part of my role as a physician is teaching self-management skills. Crucial to these skills are techniques you will use to assess: - Your Symptoms, and, - Your Chronic Disease...
* Gout is a type of arthritis affecting a small number of joints. * Joint pain, swelling and redness, usually starting at night, are the main symptoms. * The joints involved are usually in the fingers, toes, wrists, and knees. * The pain is caused by uric...
* Chronic disease means any illness that lasts .. Longer than 1 year .. Requires Medical Care, and .. Limits your Activities of Daily Living *The Big Ones are: Heart Disease (coronary artery disease and high blood pressure) Type 2 Diabetes, which usually...