Prevention? Get A Lifestyle Action Plan!
In order to get a chronic disease, your genetics – in particular a susceptability in your genetics, interacts with a ‘trigger’ in your environment. For most chronic diseases the most powerful triggers are:
- nutritional intake,
- your weight,
- your activity level,
- smoke exposure, and
- eventually your age.
With the exception of age, these factors are called lifestyle factors. That means they are under your control.
Because they are so powerful in triggering chronic disease AND because they can be controlled by your activity, they have to be our primary focus in preventing chronic disease.
Once a chronic disease is present, we are pretty much stuck just trying to control the symptoms using medication. This approach is frought with needing to continually tune how much medication is needed. Unfortunately, every medication carries undesireable side affects. These side effects kick in at different doses for different people. That means every patient needs regular (every 3 month) monitoring to assure that an effective dose is found that has tolerable side effects.
As you can see, medication is not a magic bullet for high blood pressure, heart attacks, diabetes, and cancer.
Prevention! That’s the magic bullet.
So, my goal for you is to prevent chronic disease by getting out in front of these lifestyle factors – coaching you to change them. If you can change and control them, you have a very good chance of preventing a new chronic disease.
How do we do this?
First, we determine your risk for each disease, based on the diseases your relatives have shown. This is an indirect way to detecting your genetic set-up for each disease. Sophisticated genetic testing is being developed aimed to determine your unique genetic risk for disease, but these tests are not yet available.
So, we develop this genetic risk ‘profile’ for you.
We then survey the lifestyle risk factors you have that are pushing your body toward getting each disease.
Based on that ‘map’, I develop a lifestyle action plan for you that emphasizes the most dangerous factors in your life.
This plan gives you goals to reducing each of these factors in a way that is:
- attainable, and
- is reflected in a score that you can see!
This score helps you and I see your progress toward minimizing your risk.
Lifestyle Action Plan. I’ll push this plan to your phone where you can review it and make the changes the keep you healthy for a good, long time!
Get started today!
Now, if you want to get an email when I have updated these health topics, just fill in the ‘subscribe’ box to the right.
Until next topic, I wish the best of health to you!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
- Wellivery Facts: Online Doctor Visits Work!
- Follow-up Care: Wellivery Makes It Easy!
- Children and Chronic Disease
- Symptom Surveys
- Cancer: Let’s Talk Prevention!
- How To Control Your Heart Disease!
- Chronic Disease and COVID19: Precautions First!
- Prevention? Get A Lifestyle Action Plan!
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Winter Health Tips
- Affordability: Means Accessible Care!
Acne is a common disorder that can occur from childhood into adulthood. Acne that is moderate to severe creates painful nodules, scarring, and causes psychological stress among its sufferers. Acne is caused by a combination of factors: 1. secretion of...
* Chronic disease means any illness that lasts .. Longer than 1 year .. Requires Medical Care .. Limits your Activities of Daily Living *The Big Ones responsible for most debility and death are: Heart Disease (coronary artery disease and high blood...
* Cigarette smoking is the most powerful risk you can control.* Quitting isn't easy and usually takes several tries.* The benefit for preventing heart attacks and cancer is huge.* Wellivery will help you get there by prescribing medication that will help...
* Extra body weight increases your chances of: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. * On top of these scary issues, medication, hospital and doctor costs are higher if you are overweight or obese. * Good News! Small changes in your weight can pay off big...
*Gout is a type of arthritis affecting a small number of joints. *Joint pain, swelling and redness, usually starting at night, are the main symptoms. *The joints involved are usually in the fingers, toes, wrists, and knees. *The pain is caused by uric acid...
Quality chronic disease care depends on self-management by patients. A large part of my role as your physician is teaching you these self-management skills. Crucial to these skills are techniques you will use to assess: Your Symptoms Your Chronic Disease...