Long COVID Treatment
Long COVID treatment is becoming a serious topic as doctors and scientists come to appreciate just how many COVID-19 survivors are likely to experience this disorder. Both the CDC and the WHO are working establish more knowledge about it. But first, what are we talking about?
Let’s Define It
The definition of Long COVID is evolving and this evolution is occurring faster than almost any other area of medicine. Consequently, we will know dramatically more about Long COVID in 6 months.
For now, Long COVID is a broad set of symptoms that appears at least four weeks after the initial COVID-19 infection. None of these symptoms are unique to COVID-19 and are seen in other disorders.
In some of these other disorders, well defined treatments have been established. My job as a physician is to evaluate these symptoms, determine if they are part of a non-COVID disorder and launch treatment.
For example, after recovery from COVID-19, many patients complain of shortness of breath. Shortness of breath is also a symptom seen in poorly controlled asthma. If the shortness of breath these patients report is from asthma, and we make the diagnosis of asthma, then asthma medicine can be prescribed with good relief of the symptoms.
What if asthma is not diagnosed in these patients? Would asthma medicine still provide them relief? These are valid and very important questions that doctors and patients will be discovering the answers to as we move forward.
I believe there are a few main points to remember:
- At this time, it is believed that most post-Covid symptoms will resolve in a period of six months to one year.
- The medication or interventions that improve the long COVID symptoms are already well known.
- Most Long COVID patients can be managed by a primary care physician.
- As a physician, the most important task is to keep Long COVID patients hopeful while being vigilant for treatable serious underlying diseases.
- Just as with all chronic health problems, building an expert, accessible, healing relationship between the patient and physician is be the best way to move through the Long COVID recovery process.
Long COVID will present some treatment challenges.
There is much that we don’t know about this disorder. But, we know a lot about helping patients overcome the limitations of a chronic disease. We can apply that knowlege and those approaches to help patients overcome Long COVID for life!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
- How Widespread is Long COVID?
- What is long COVID?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
Leveraging Dietary Protein
* Why is protein needed? * What kind of protein? * How much? Why is Deitary Protein Important? Obesity Prevention: The American diet tends to be high in carbohydrates and fats. Excessive intake of these nutrients is driving an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart...
Oral Cancer Prevention
Oral Cancer Prevention According to the World Health Organization, oral cancer is the 13th most common cancer on the planet. The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention estimates that oral cancer will cause 54,000 new cases of oral cancer (2022). If not detected...
TREATMENT FOR COVID19?YES! I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a...
Long COVID Lung
Long COVID Lung A large number of patients that experienced COVID-19 will have persisting lung symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and decreased exercise capacity. These problems are usually worse in patients who became so ill that they required...
Long COVID Brain
Long COVID Brain You have either heard of or experienced first hand the “brain fog” associated with COVID-19 infection. This disordered operation of thought and memory occurs during an active COVID-19 infection. But what about later, down the road? Do these issues...
Long COVID Heart
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many...