Long COVID Heart
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many weeks later. A number of body systems seem to be injured by this virus. The heart and blood vessels is one we are learning more about.
Long COVID Heart
The most interesting source of this information comes from a recent study published in Nature Medicine by Xie et. al. showing that COVID-19 produces a number a serious disorders that become evident weeks after recovery from the initial infection. They include:
- Strokes (due to blood clots in the blood vessels of the brain);
- Heart Rhythm problems;
- Heart attacks (ischemic heart disease);
- Inflammation around the heart (pericarditis);
- Inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis);
- Heart failure; and
- Blood clots in vessels throughout the body.
Even minor symptoms from COVID-19 have been assciated with these disorders!
What To Do About It?
Be on the lookout for symptoms. Long COVID has a broad set of symptoms that appears at least four weeks after the initial COVID-19 infection. Symptoms in this list related to the heart and blood vessels should alert your doctor to the possibility that more serious disorders exist. More testing will be needed in each case to make sure you are ok.
Treating Long COVID Heart
So far, the disorders of the heart and blood vessels from COVID-19 are treated using standard, well established medicines or procedures. Whether we can prevent the development of these disorders is not yet known.
My job as a physician is to evaluate your symptoms, get a diagnosis of the underlying disorder, and launch treatment and/or intervention. Perhaps in time, there will be specific treatments and interventions for heart and blood vessel problems caused by COVID-19. For now, you keep an eye on your health and I’ll watch the scientific and medical literature for new information.
I’ll post new scientific discoveries on this page, so BookMark it now!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
- How Widespread is Long COVID?
- What is long COVID?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
* Why is protein needed? * What kind of protein? * How much? Why is Deitary Protein Important? Obesity Prevention: The American diet tends to be high in carbohydrates and fats. Excessive intake of these nutrients is driving an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart...
Oral Cancer Prevention According to the World Health Organization, oral cancer is the 13th most common cancer on the planet. The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention estimates that oral cancer will cause 54,000 new cases of oral cancer (2022). If not detected...
TREATMENT FOR COVID19?YES! I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a...
Long COVID Lung A large number of patients that experienced COVID-19 will have persisting lung symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and decreased exercise capacity. These problems are usually worse in patients who became so ill that they required...
Long COVID Brain You have either heard of or experienced first hand the “brain fog” associated with COVID-19 infection. This disordered operation of thought and memory occurs during an active COVID-19 infection. But what about later, down the road? Do these issues...
* Diabetes means your body is struggling to keep your blood sugar normal. * There are two types of diabetes: Typle 1 and Type 2. * If you have been diagnosed with either, careful attention to your food intake and prescribed medicine is the most...