Long COVID Heart
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many weeks later. A number of body systems seem to be injured by this virus. The heart and blood vessels is one we are learning more about.
Long COVID Heart
The most interesting source of this information comes from a recent study published in Nature Medicine by Xie et. al. showing that COVID-19 produces a number a serious disorders that become evident weeks after recovery from the initial infection. They include:
- Strokes (due to blood clots in the blood vessels of the brain);
- Heart Rhythm problems;
- Heart attacks (ischemic heart disease);
- Inflammation around the heart (pericarditis);
- Inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis);
- Heart failure; and
- Blood clots in vessels throughout the body.
Even minor symptoms from COVID-19 have been assciated with these disorders!
What To Do About It?
Be on the lookout for symptoms. Long COVID has a broad set of symptoms that appears at least four weeks after the initial COVID-19 infection. Symptoms in this list related to the heart and blood vessels should alert your doctor to the possibility that more serious disorders exist. More testing will be needed in each case to make sure you are ok.
Treating Long COVID Heart
So far, the disorders of the heart and blood vessels from COVID-19 are treated using standard, well established medicines or procedures. Whether we can prevent the development of these disorders is not yet known.
My job as a physician is to evaluate your symptoms, get a diagnosis of the underlying disorder, and launch treatment and/or intervention. Perhaps in time, there will be specific treatments and interventions for heart and blood vessel problems caused by COVID-19. For now, you keep an eye on your health and I’ll watch the scientific and medical literature for new information.
I’ll post new scientific discoveries on this page, so BookMark it now!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- Is Tirzepatide For You?
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Is Semaglutide For You?
- Prevention? Get A Lifestyle Action Plan!
- Affordability: Means Accessible Care!
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
* As you know, excess body weight increases your chances of: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.* Studies show that medication, hospital and doctor costs are higher if you are overweight or obese.* Good News! Small changes in your weight can pay off big in reducing...
Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms: Burning (dysuria) Frequency (having to urinate more often than usual) Urgency (stronger than normal urge to urinate) These symptoms are the hallmarks of a UTI (Urinary tract infection) or a bladder infection. A UTI is a...
* Extra body weight increases your chances of: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.* On top of these scary issues, medication, hospital and doctor costs are higher if you are overweight or obese.* Good News! Small changes in your weight can dramaticlaly...
* Cigarette smoking is the most powerful risk factor that you can control!* Quitting isn't easy and usually takes several tries.* The benefit for preventing heart attacks and cancer is huge.* Wellivery will help you get there by prescribing medication that...
Quality chronic disease care depends on self-management by patients. A large part of my role as a physician is teaching self-management skills. Crucial to these skills are techniques you will use to assess: - Your Symptoms, and, - Your Chronic Disease...
* Gout is a type of arthritis affecting a small number of joints. * Joint pain, swelling and redness, usually starting at night, are the main symptoms. * The joints involved are usually in the fingers, toes, wrists, and knees. * The pain is caused by uric...