Long COVID Brain
Long COVID Brain
You have either heard of or experienced first hand the “brain fog” associated with COVID-19 infection. This disordered operation of thought and memory occurs during an active COVID-19 infection. But what about later, down the road? Do these issues persist? Is this Long COVID Brain?
The most comprehensive investigation of brain issues weeks after recovery from active COVID-19 was published in Nature (Douaud et al.)
These investigators performed brain scans on a 785 patients on two occasions. Sometime after the first scan, 401 patients in this group tested positive for COVID-19. The scientists compared the brain images before and after COVID-19 infection and compared these images with those obtained in 384 COVID-19-negative controls. They reported structural changes in three main areas:
- A decrease in the outer layer of brain (grey matter) densely filled with nerves most noticeable in the front of the brain and in a layer called the parahippocampal gyrus;
- Signs of brain damage in the part of the brain connected to the olfactory nerve which is responsible for the sense of smell; and,
- An overall decrease in the size of the brain.
In addition, they found a decrease in cognitive skills like computation, judgement and memory in those patients who tested positive and showed the changes in brain structure.
Long COVID Brain
In the Douaud et al. study, the investigators used a neuropsychological measure called the Trail Making test, which reflects a number of complex brain functions that together comprise Executive Functioning. Executive functioning is essential for planning, organizing and executing tasks. We don’t know yet how long these brain disorders last.
Wellivery and Long COVID Brain.
I will track and update this section of Wellivery.com to give you the best information about this topic.
Long COVID Brain?
At least 2 major theories that have been proposed to explain the brain effects of Long COVID. So far, the mechanisms that have been proposed have not been proven. Getting the answer to this question will be a key component of understanding how to treat, prevent, and possible reverse Long COVID brain.
Wellivery and Long COVID
I have created a dedicated page about Long COVID as a launching point for exploring what we know about Long COVID, its cause, treatment, and longterm affects.
I’ll post new scientific discoveries on this page, so BookMark it now!
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
- How Widespread is Long COVID?
- What is long COVID?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
- Wellivery Facts: Online Doctor Visits Work!
TREATMENT FOR COVID19?YES! I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a...
Long COVID Lung A large number of patients that experienced COVID-19 will have persisting lung symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and decreased exercise capacity. These problems are usually worse in patients who became so ill that they required...
* Why is protein needed? * What kind of protein? * How much? Why is Protein Needed? Obesity Prevention: The American diet tends to be high in carbohydrates and fats. Excessive intake of these nutrients is driving an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and...
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many...
* Diabetes means your body is struggling to keep your blood sugar normal. * There are two types of diabetes: Typle 1 and Type 2. * If you have been diagnosed with either, careful attention to your food intake and prescribed medicine is the most...
Long COVID treatment is becoming a serious topic as doctors and scientists come to appreciate just how many COVID-19 survivors are likely to experience this disorder. Both the CDC and the WHO are working establish more knowledge about it. But first, what are we...