Steroids and Long COVID
Are Steroids Helpful in Long COVID?
Many patients ask me about steroids early in the treatment of long COVID-19. While it’s true that steroids are often used in hospitalized patients with active COVID-19, the evidence for their effectiveness in patients who are recovering is not strong.
In fact, in animal studies of how COVID affects the brain, it appears that the non-judicious use of steroids in COVID-19 infection can make things worse. That’s because early in COVID-19 infection, the immune system needs to be fully functional and at full speed. Steroids like prednisone and dexamethasone shut down immune defense systems, which gives the virus an unchecked advantage in spreading inside the body.
Steroids Are Helpful in Hospitalized COVID.
When COVID-19 patients land in the hospital, its usually because their lungs are failing. The current evidence indicates that in some people, due to underlying disease or genetic factors, COVID-19 infection triggers a hyper-reaction in their immune system. The lungs are at ground zero of this reaction and are damaged in the cross-fire. In this setting, steroids are used to tone-down the immune response to lessen lung damage.
How Would Steroids Help in Long COVID?
We are at the very edge of understanding this question. The first studies that will answer this will be conducted in hamsters, a species that remarkably mimics COVID-19 infection in humans.
It will be sometime before we know how applicable these findings are to humans. Nonetheless, these studies are encouraging and provide additional insight into COVID-19 and long Covid symptoms.
Long COVID Information
Long COVID is a fascinating medical challenge! Helping patients navigate to recovery from Long COVID is a top priority at Wellivery. Keep track of Long COVID developments by bookmarking the Wellivery Long COVID page.
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
- How Widespread is Long COVID?
- What is long COVID?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
- Wellivery Facts: Online Doctor Visits Work!
TREATMENT FOR COVID19?YES! I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a...
Long COVID Lung A large number of patients that experienced COVID-19 will have persisting lung symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and decreased exercise capacity. These problems are usually worse in patients who became so ill that they required...
* Why is protein needed? * What kind of protein? * How much? Why is Protein Needed? Obesity Prevention: The American diet tends to be high in carbohydrates and fats. Excessive intake of these nutrients is driving an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and...
Long COVID Brain You have either heard of or experienced first hand the “brain fog” associated with COVID-19 infection. This disordered operation of thought and memory occurs during an active COVID-19 infection. But what about later, down the road? Do these issues...
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many...
* Diabetes means your body is struggling to keep your blood sugar normal. * There are two types of diabetes: Typle 1 and Type 2. * If you have been diagnosed with either, careful attention to your food intake and prescribed medicine is the most...