TREATMENT FOR COVID19?YES! I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a...
TREATMENT FOR COVID19?
I have been tracking the scientific and clinical literature since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been particularly vigilant for safe and effective treatments for COVID-19 that are used in NON-HOSPITALIZED patients that have a heightened risk of serious problems.
There are two categories based on how these medications are administered: my mouth (oral) or intravenous (IV). The medicines that are currently approved are not equal in their effectiveness and vary considerably in their cost. In addition, the IV medications will require a trip (or several) to an infusion center. The emergence of variants creates an additional problem: some of these treatments are not effective against the most recent and dominant strain of the COVID-19 virus. As of today, that is the Omicron BA.2 subvariant. As of today, here are the NIH recommended medications for non-hospitalized, high-risk ADULT patients:
Paxlovid (Ritonavir-boosted nirmatrelvir) (1 dose by mouth twice a day for 5 days)
Sotrovimab (500 mg IV once) (and only in areas were Omicron BA.2 is not dominent)
Remdesivir (1 dose IV daily for 5 days)
Bebtelovimab (175 mg IV once)
Molnupiravir (1 dose my mouth every 12 hours for 5 days)
*Evushield (Tixagevimab plus cilgavimab) (1 dose of each intramuscular one time) – This IM injection is used as “Pre-exposure Prophylaxis” or “PrEP” – i.e. it is administered as a prevention measure before exposure.
As I assembled this list, I had to stop and recollect about how helpless my physician colleagues and I felt just one year ago, when we had so few options.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Symptoms: mild to moderate illness (normal oxygen, not struggling to breathe)
Ages: 18 and older
Chronic Illness: that places you at increased risk for severe COVID19 – this includes:
- Cerebrovascular disease (stroke)
- Chronic kidney disease* (polycystic, nephritis, nephrosis)
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema)
- Diabetes mellitus, type 1 and type 2*
- Heart conditions (such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies)
- Obesity (BMI ≥30 kg/m2)*
- Pregnancy and recent pregnancy
- Smoking, current and former
Infusions centers have been established in most states. Go to this Website to locate one near you:
Oral medicines can be prescribed by your regular doctor or schedule an appointment on Wellivery to get an assessment to see if you are eligible
You should get this treatment as soon as you can after receive a positive test for COVID19.
Get email notifications when I post new Health Topics.
- COVID19 Treatment!
- Long COVID Lung
- Leveraging Dietary Protein
- Long COVID Brain
- Long COVID Heart
- Take Control of Diabetes!
- Long COVID Treatment
- What Causes Long COVID?
- Steroids and Long COVID
- How Widespread is Long COVID?
- What is long COVID?
- Get Online Acne Treatment Now!
- What is Chronic Disease?
- Quit Smoking: How Wellivery Can Help
- Change Your Weight for Better Health!
- Gout Pain Can Be Controlled!
- Doctor Visits on Your Phone!
- Urinary Tract Infections: Get Your Antibiotic Online!
- Electronic Prescription Medicine: No Paper To Lose!
- Wellivery Facts: Online Doctor Visits Work!
Long COVID Lung A large number of patients that experienced COVID-19 will have persisting lung symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, and decreased exercise capacity. These problems are usually worse in patients who became so ill that they required...
* Why is protein needed? * What kind of protein? * How much? Why is Protein Needed? Obesity Prevention: The American diet tends to be high in carbohydrates and fats. Excessive intake of these nutrients is driving an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and...
Long COVID Brain You have either heard of or experienced first hand the “brain fog” associated with COVID-19 infection. This disordered operation of thought and memory occurs during an active COVID-19 infection. But what about later, down the road? Do these issues...
Infection with COVID-19 has shown us many unique medical problems caused by the virus. Once you as a patient get out of the danger zone with your initial infection, you may not be out of the woods. Many patients COVID-19 are reporting new problems beginning many...
* Diabetes means your body is struggling to keep your blood sugar normal. * There are two types of diabetes: Typle 1 and Type 2. * If you have been diagnosed with either, careful attention to your food intake and prescribed medicine is the most...